Dermalogica | Charcoal Rescue Masque Launch


There are only a few skincare brands that I can truly advocate for their extensive research and their honesty in content marketing and Dermalogica is one of them. I’ve been using their range of skincare products for the last few years and I’m beyond impressed with some of their cleansers and exfoliants. A few days ago I was invited to the media launch of Dermalogica’s Charcoal Rescue Masque and Hydrablur Primer at the Dubai Marina Yatch Club.




The Masque
Charcoal has long been used in medicine to treat oral poisoning owing to its incredible ability to ‘adsorb’ most drugs or poisons. To be exact, it can adsorb 100 to 200 times its weight, in impurities. And which is why activated charcoal has taken the beauty industry by storm – it’s an excellent natural ingredient that can purify and 'deep-cleanse' the skin.
Lizzi Dunette – Dermalogica educator giving a presentation on the Charcoal Rescue Masque

So, how does it work?
This is a multi-tasking masque. It contains activated charcoal made from pure Japanese Binchotan – and yes, it's the main ingredient in the masque. It basically helps to soak up all the nasty environmental pollutants and sebum while the sulfur promotes cellular growth and exfoliates the dry patches. 


It also contains volcanic ash (yes, its as real as it gets!), sea silt, bamboo extract and alpha hydroxyl acid (mainly lactic acid) to exfoliate and brighten the skin. Niacinamide (also known as Vitamin B3 and nicotinic acid) is also listed in the ingredients and it helps strengthen the skin barrier making it less prone to irritation. It also helps to revive the skin tone. And what about those annoying open pores, you'd ask? Well the Chilean wild mint should work.

How to make it work better?
Make sure you have your complimentary face-mapping done at their Dubai Mall counter before you start using the masque. 


And, what exactly is face mapping? 
It's a one-on-one session with a professional skin therapist who will examine the different areas on your face and see if they have different needs. In simpler terms, they define the areas and ‘map’ them out on a paper and let you know what products are best suited on different areas. 



I had mine done and was told that my T-zone is oilier and more prone to congestion while the other areas are drier and need more hydration. So going with the face map, I now know which areas on my face will benefit most from the masque.

Alternatively I can use two masques at the same time (don't we all love multi-tasking?). I can use the Charcoal Rescue Masque on my T-zone and Skin Hydrating Masque on the other areas.

My experience with the masque?
Spread a generous amount on your face, let it stay for about 7-10 minutes. You might feel some minor tingling in the drier areas on your face at first, but it goes off after the first minute or so. 



Removing it on the other hand is a little different from other masques. I prefer using my wet hands and in circular motion, I start massaging it on my face. You’ll feel the tiny sulfur particles rubbing gently under your fingertips. This will give your face a gentle exfoliation before your wash it off. Once you’ve completely removed the masque, your face will feel more brighter and invigorated. I like to follow it up with my rose toner and moisturizer.  

For your reference, I have very sensitive skin which is prone to redness, but using the technique described above, I've had no complaints! :)


Have you tried the charcoal masque? What is your favorite Dermalogica product? Do share your comments and feedback, as always, I'd love to hear from you all! x

Labels: ,